Makes about 1.2 kg
25g merriwhite (dried egg white powder)
1kg icing sugar, sifted
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Mix the merriwhite with 150ml water and pass through a sieve to get rid of any lumps.
2. Place the icing sugar in the clean bowl of an electric mixer, add about three-quarters of the merriwhite mixture and the lemon juice, and start mixing on low speed.
3. Once the sugar and the merriwhite are well combined, check the consistency. If the sides of the bowl still look dry and crumbly, add some more merriwhite until the icing looks almost smooth but not wet.
4. Keep mixing for about 4-5 minutes, until it has reached stiff-peak consistency.
5. Spoon into a plastic container, cover with a clean damp j-cloth and the lid. Store at room temperature.
Royal Icing Consistencies
Recipe taken from Pretty Party Cakes by Peggy Porschen, Quadrille Publishing Ltd, 2006